Monday, December 17, 2012

Natural Birth Reading List

People often ask me what reading they can do to prep for a natural birth. I can't tell you what joy that question brings me. Not just because the suggestions I have are awesome (which they are) but because whoever is asking me this question has already shown the most important first step in prepping for a natural delivery... Research! Women who do their research on birth are far more likely to accomplish their goal. There are many reasons for this: avoiding unnecessary intervention, getting into a natural birth mindset, but most of all commitment to a natural birth (it really does take a strong will more than anything else).

So I had to post my reading list in the order I recommend you read them (in case you don't have time to read them all):

- 'Ina May's Guide to Childbirth' by Ina May Gaskin (Actually all of her books are AMAZING and worth the reading time!)
- 'Active Birth' by Janet Balaskas
- 'The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth' Henci Goer
- 'Your Best Birth' by Ricki Lake and Abby Epstein
- 'Birthing From Within' by Pam England and Rob Horowitz

I read many more but these were the ones I found to be the most useful and true to my experience. I hope they will help whoever else may stumble upon this page!!

Best quote I ever had for childbirth and breastfeeding came from my birth/bf educator. She said to me "Don't say you will TRY to have a natural childbirth or you will TRY to breastfeed. Say you WILL have a natural childbirth and you WILL breastfeed." She was completely accurate. It is all mind over matter. Say it, think it, believe it, and you WILL DO IT!!! 

Oh, and during childbirth it is important to surround yourself with people (doula, midwife, husband, mother, friend, ob, etc) who believe in you. If you have read my previous post about my childbirth experience you know my own mother was that support for me. It is so important because you will doubt yourself during birth (even if you don't mean it) so you need someone who will look you in the eyes and remind you of how strong you are and tell you that you are doing great. 

Love to all you looking for a natural childbirth! You are STRONG!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment